In 1937, American Fork's first community hospital opened its doors. The old Co-op Building is well remembered for the 33 steps that lead to the second-floor facility.
The original 25-bed community hospital was located on 51 East Main Street. The hospital was equipped with an operating room, maternity room, glassed-in nursery, kitchen and a sterilizer room.
Maude T. Humphries 1937-1960 First Administrator and
One of the first nurses - one of only two working at the hospital.
American Fork Mayor William S. Storrs helped develop the first American Fork Community Hospital. The original property cost was $2,500, of which $1,250 was raised by subscriptions donated by local citizens and institutions of American Fork.
American Fork Hospital was the first community hospital that provided care and services to the local community.
In 1948, a new building was constructed to house an updated 25-bed facility.
Groundbreaking for a new location at 350 East 300 North was held August 20, 1949.
In 1950, American Fork Hospital relocated to a new building on 350 East 300 North.
In 1959, the hospital added 26 beds, doubling the hospital's capacity and bringing the total number of hospital beds to 54.
The 1970s were marked by rapid improvements in medical technology, for which American Fork Hospital is still known today.
Radiology technician Eileen Farmer screens her patient with the latest radiology technology at American Fork Hospital in the 1970s.
A new fetal heart monitor was introduced in 1975.
A 1978 LifeFlight helicopter helps save lives.
A 1974 ambulance transports patients to the hospital.
In 1978, American Fork Hospital joined Intermountain Healthcare, a renowned system of 21 hospitals primarily based in Utah and Idaho.
Groundbreaking for a third, and current, hospital location at 170 North 1100 East, was made August 2, 1979.
1980s & 1990s
In 1980, American Fork Hospital officially moved to its current location on 170 North 1100 East.
In November 1981, a new building was completed and the hospital relocated to its current location, becoming a 55 bed facility.
In 2002, a two-year $32 million expansion project was completed, greatly increasing the capacity, services and level of medical technology available to local communities.
In 2005, the first Huntsman-Intermountain Cancer Center opened its doors at American Fork Hospital.
Today, the hospital is a modern 205,000 square-foot facility with state-of-the-art medical technology, 117 beds and a medical staff of more than 200 physicians representing some 30 specialties.
Expansion plans are underway for the construction of a two-story building that will house a new Emergency Department and operating room.