Teacher I - Primar y Children's Hospital
Job Number 146153
This position is responsible for identifying the educational needs of children and adolescents, functioning as a member of a multidisciplinary treatment team in matters relating to educational programming and transition planning. Provides patient individualized education on an individual and group level. Provides skills assessment, academic skills evaluation, educational programming and transition planning to children and adolescents. Provides educational counseling services and recommendations to parents regarding the educational needs of their children. Serves as liaison to patient's community based school. Participates, along with clinical staff, parents, patient and receiving school personnel, in transition planning to a patient's community based school at discharge from treatment.
Performs in a manner consistent with licensure as outlined by the Utah State Department of Education.
1. Assesses educational needs of patients and families based on patient / family requests, staff and physician referrals, and students school functioning.
2. May provide educational assessment using academic-psycho-educational test batteries in accordance with department guidelines to develop a baseline for planning care and school disposition. May provide formal or informal assessment not limited to psycho-educational tests
3. May develop and implement individualized education plans of care to provide appropriate instruction and a positive learning experience.
4. May create written training materials regarding the educational needs of patients and families experiencing illness, injury and health care. May provide family members with appropriate educational information and recommendations.
5. Utilizes patient educational assessment, education history and patient status to determine appropriate educational placement and level of instruction.
6. Works collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team to meet the educational needs of patients.
7. Provides education recommendations based on assessment data and knowledge of educational resources to assist in treatment planning and patient care.
8. Fosters a positive learning environment for patients through structured curriculum and customized educational activities to meet individual needs and to promote academic achievement.
9. Determines appropriate educational placement utilizing assessment, patient history and current patient status.
10. May collaborate with public and private educational systems to obtain and communicate educational information (with parental consent) in accordance with educational law and department guidelines to arrange appropriate educational services and transition plans.
11. Advocates for patients and families within public and private schools by establishing transition plans as needed.
12. Maintains compliance with appropriate school accreditation standards.
13. May create training materials for School Services Tutors. Train/ Supervise School Services Tutors.
14. May create and give presentations in the hospital and in the community.
Bachelor's degree obtained from an accredited institution. Education is verified.
Current State of Utah teaching licensure.
Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
Demonstrated teaching ability
Proficiency in computer applications
Carrying, Hearing/Listening, Lifting, Pulling/Pushing, Seeing, Sitting, Speaking, Standing, Walking
Two years of special education experience
Two years of experience in a mental health or healthcare setting
All positions subject to close without notice
Intermountain Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V
Job Type: Part Time
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, US