A free workshop on the healthcare options and community resources available to seniors and their families will be held on Thursday, July 21, at 6:30 p.m. The lecture will be held at the Sandy Senior Center, which is located at 9310 South 1300 East in Sandy.
Alta View Hospital, Alta View Senior Clinic, and the Sandy Senior Center are sponsoring the workshop. The free workshop will feature Dr. Crystal Owens and nurse practitioner, Diane Kendall of the Alta View Senior Clinic at Alta View Hospital. Some of the topics they will discuss during the workshop include: fall prevention, medication safety, lower back pain, cognitive well-being, and treatment for memory loss.
The Alta View Senior Clinic gives residents in the southeast part of Salt Lake County a new resource for senior health issues and support. The purpose of the clinic is to provide area seniors and their families with a clinic they can come to for specialized care they need, ranging from disease management to testing to advice about resources in the community.
Some of the services the Alta View Senior Clinic provides to area seniors and the people who care for them:
- A board-certified physician and nurse practitioner who specialize in senior care
- Nurses who can provide blood pressure and oxygen level checks and other clinical services
- Care managers who can share information about community resources and provide long-range planning and counseling for seniors and their families
- Laboratory services including blood and urine tests
- Nutritional counseling for people with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and weight loss or gain
- Cognitive clinics to address memory problems or judgment concerns
- Medication reviews and recommendations
- Information on homecare services
- Diabetic management and instruction
- Assistance with advance directives
- Information on places where seniors can volunteer in the community
- Special “Welcome to Medicare” preventive exams and services (available for one year after seniors enroll in Medicare)
There’s no need to RSVP. For more information about the workshop, call 801-501-2795. You can also find out more about this class and other classes Alta View provides by visiting the hospital’s website — www.altaviewhospital.org.