It's another week into the My Heart Challenge, and our contestants are required to share the number of health meals they've eaten each week. Here's a great heart-healthy recipe that would definitely count as a healthy meal. Grab the ingredients and whip up some delicious frittata.
- 7 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1 t dried oregano
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 baby zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 crown broccoli, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 T pine nuts
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper (a pinch of each)
- 1 leek, white & green parts only, finely chopped
- 5 large white (or 7-8 smaller) Porcini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Warm a large, oven-safe skillet over med-low heat. Add 2 T olive oil to the pan along with the leek. Cook until leeks have wilted, but have no turned brown (3-4 minutes).
- While the leeks are cooking, beat the eggs, water, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl until frothy. (More vigorous whisking will result in fluffier end product)
- Add the broccoli, zucchini, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes until the broccoli has turned bright green.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies. Allow to cook, occasionally lifting one side of the mixture to allow uncooked portions to slide to the edges of the pan.
- When the center is almost set, but not cooked through (about 5-7 minutes), sprinkle the top with the feta and pine nuts.
- Place the pan in the oven and cook until top is set and golden (~10 minutes). You can turn the broiler on at the end to toast the pine nuts for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad for a light and quick summer dinner.
Amount per serving: 145 K cals | 5g Carbs | 11g Fat | 7.73g Protein
Makes 8 servings.