Indoor mold (fungus) is very common in humid areas and in homes that
have damp areas such as basements. Mold may trigger asthma symptoms, such as
wheezing or coughing, or another
allergic reaction, such as the rash of
atopic dermatitis or stuffy nose of
allergic rhinitis. Substances that trigger these
reactions are called
Although there is no strong evidence that reducing damp areas in
homes or limiting exposure to them helps decrease
asthma symptoms, taking the following steps may be
Adults spend one-third of their time and children spend half
of their time in their bedrooms, so it is important that you take steps to prevent
allergens in this room.
June 30, 2011
E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine & Rohit K Katial, MD - Allergy and Immunology
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.