have a possible poisoning emergency, call 1-800-222-1222
and you will be automatically transferred to the closest poison control
Many of the items in our homes can be poisonous to
children—household cleaners, medicines, cosmetics, garden products, and
houseplants. If these items are not kept out of reach, your child could
swallow, inhale, or eat these toxic substances or get them on his or her
Young children have the highest risk of poisoning because
of their natural curiosity. Products that are poisonous to children can also
Use the following tips to keep dangerous products or
items away from children.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) offers a
variety of educational materials about parenting,
general growth and development, immunizations, safety, disease prevention, and more. AAP guidelines for various conditions and links to other
organizations are also available.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC)
provides contact information for poison control centers located throughout the
United States. The organization also has tips on poison prevention and first aid.
The National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) is a
cooperative effort between Oregon State University and the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency. The NPIC has fact sheets about pesticide safety issues
relating to home and garden use, food, water, and pets. They also have detailed
information about pesticide manufacturers, chemicals found in products,
pesticide labels, and more.
CitationsNational Pesticide Information Center (2008). Signal words. Available online: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/signalwords.html.
November 30, 2010
Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics & Thomas Emmett Francoeur, MD, MDCM, CSPQ, FRCPC - Pediatrics
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.