Alta View Hospital will be hosting a free community health fair on Saturday, March 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the hospital, which is located at 9660 South 1300 East in Sandy.
Everyone — including adults, teenagers, and children — is invited to come learn more about being healthy, have fun together, and see the services offered at Alta View Hospital.
A summary of what you can do at the health fair:
- Get free or low-cost health screenings including free blood pressure checks and vision acuity and glaucoma screenings. Reduced price cholesterol ($15, lipid) and diabetes screenings ($10) and PSA tests to screen for prostate cancer ($15) are also available. (For accurate results, please come fasting for the cholesterol and diabetes screening tests.)
- Sign up for Healthy Sandy Partnership’s Slim Down/Shape Up 2010 program. This year’s program has been expanded to include kids and encourage everyone to exercise, lose unneeded weight, and maintain an overall healthier lifestyle.
- Get an interactive look at surgery. You’ll be able to get a close-up look at how surgical procedures are done, such as lap banding, total joint surgery, bone surgery, and more. Alta View’s surgical staff will demonstrate how they use some of their tools and equipment during a surgical procedure and even let you try some of it out for yourself. Kids will be able to dress up in scrubs and perform an appendectomy, work under a surgical microscope, and even learn how to stitch.
- Catch up on immunizations. Immunization Express will be providing immunizations. Immunizations for children up to 18 years of age are $10 if you qualify under federal guidelines. If you’re insured, Immunization Express may be able to bill your insurance.
- Get information about medications. A pharmacist will be on hand to help answer questions about medications you’re taking or considering.
- Have your car seat checked. Representatives from Primary Children’s Medical Center will be on hand from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. to make sure car seats are safe and secure. To make an appointment, call 801-662-6583.
- Check out a Life Flight helicopter or a fire truck and more. One of Intermountain Healthcare’s Life Flight medical transport helicopters will be on hand at the fair. Also, representatives from Sandy City’s police and fire departments will provide safety information and a number of police and fire vehicles will be on display in the parking lot.
- Take part in interactive games and displays including a fun hand-washing station that helps you see how well you wash your hands.
- Sign up for prize drawings for free bone density scans, mammograms, CT calcium scoring exams, and gift baskets.
“We’re excited for this year’s health fair. It’s a great chance to get free and reduced price screenings and see what we do at Alta View,” says Becky Kapp, the hospital’s administrator. “We offer many services that help keep people healthy and safe. This is a great opportunity for families to come and see what we do and see how we benefit everyone who lives in the southern part of the Salt Lake valley.”
For more information about the health fair, please call 801-501-2795.