In the Breast Clinic, you can be confident that each specialist is in communication with each other. Integrated care is high quality care and we pride ourselves on our unique multidisciplinary approach. During your clinic visit, you have access to each of the following specialties. They will assist you in planning your treatment and answer any questions you have.
- Surgeon – A surgeon removes cancer through surgical intervention. Most surgeons who do breast surgery are general surgeons, with specialization in breast surgery. Many patients will see a surgeon as the first specialist following a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Medical Oncologist – (Hematology/Oncology) Medical Oncologist are internists with training and experience in the treatment of cancer. They coordinate patient care from diagnosis through the course of the disease, assisting with pain and symptom management. When needed, they prescribe chemotherapy, hormone therapy and other anti-cancer drugs.
- Radiation Oncologist – Radiation Oncologists provide radiation therapy treatment such as image guided radiation therapy. They develop and prescribe cancer treatment plans and monitor patient progress.
- Genetics Counselor – Our counselor will review your family medical history and provide education regarding your personal risk for familial cancer.
- Lymphedema Therapist – Our therapists evaluate and provide education about swelling caused by lymph system disruption.
- Social Worker – Our social worker will assist with support and counseling, financial concerns, and help you gain access to community resources.
- Dietitian- Our certified dietitians provide education about nutrition during cancer treatment.
- Registered Nurse – The nurse will coordinate your care by helping make appointments, providing education and answering questions.
- American Cancer Society Patient Navigator – Our American Cancer Society patient navigator connects patients with information, resources, services, and support during the cancer journey.
A physician referral is not necessary to attend the breast clinic. If you would like to attend for primary treatment planning or a second opinion, please call 801-507-7836.