In the Rectal/Anal Clinic, we provide treatment planning for new and recurrent rectal and anal cancers. You can be confident that each specialist in the clinic is in communication with each other. Integrated care is high quality care and we pride ourselves on our unique multidisciplinary approach. During your clinic visit, you will have access to each of the following specialties. They will assist you in planning your treatment and answer any questions you have.
- Surgeons – Surgeons remove cancer through surgical intervention. The surgeons in the clinic are either general or colorectal surgeons. Many patients will see a surgeon as the first specialist following a cancer diagnosis.
- Medical Oncologist – (Hematology/Oncology) Medical Oncologists are internists with training and experience in the treatment of cancer. They coordinate patient care from diagnosis through the course of the disease, assisting with pain and symptom management. When needed, they prescribe chemotherapy and other anti-cancer drugs.
- Radiation Oncologist – Radiation Oncologists provide radiation therapy treatment such as brachytherapy and image guided radiation therapy. They develop and prescribe cancer treatment plans and monitor patient progress.
- Social Worker – Our social worker will assist with support and counseling, financial concersn, and help you gain access to community resources.
- Dietitian – Our certified dietitians provide education about nutrition during cancer treatment.
- Genetics Counselor – Our counselor will review your family medical history and provide education regarding your personal risk for familial cancer.
- Registered Nurse – The nurse will coordinate your care by helping make appointments, providing education and answering questions.
- American Cancer Society Patient Navigator – Our American Cancer Society patient navigator connects patients with information, resources, services, and support during the cancer journey.
- Enterostomal Nurse – The nurse will provide education and anwser questions about stomas.
A physician referral is not necessary to attend rectal/anal clinic. If you would like to attend for primary treatment planning or a second opinion, please call 801-507-3900.