Beating back cancer is a victory for the individual, their families and their care team. But becoming a cancer survivor can bring new challenges, including learning to live a new lifestyle and establish new habits and routines.
At the American Fork Cancer Center, we work with each patient to help them develop a post-cancer plan to help them stay healthy.
The physical challenges of cancer treatment and recovery are difficult in themselves, but there are often emotional challenges as well. We encourage cancer survivors to seek encouragement and support from their family, friends, and fellow cancer survivors. And, of course, our caring team will always be there to cheer you along.
The American Fork Cancer Center provides a variety of ways for cancer survivors to stay connected and supported, including:
- The American Fork Canyon Half Marathon & 5K: join cancer survivors and community members who want to join the fight against cancer, in one of the favorite races of the year in beautiful American Fork Canyon. All race fees support local cancer patient treatment.
- Women's Cancer Support Group: this is a support group for female cancer patients and survivors.
- First Tuesday of each month, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Utah Valley Cancer Center radiation lobby.
- Contact Heidi Fox, LCSW, at (801) 357-7575 for more information.
- Lifting Hearts Breast Cancer Support Group: meets the second Thursday of each month, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., at the Fillmore/Spencer Law Office (3301 North University Ave, Provo, UT). www.liftinghearts.blogspot.com
- Look Good... Feel Better: An educational and resource program to help female cancer patients "look good and feel better". It is a two-hour class. Pre-registration is required to attend the class. Call (801) 493-4724.
- 4th Tuesday of each month, 6:30 p.m., at American Fork Hospital
- Road to Recovery Transportation Service: Cancer patients can get transportation to their scheduled medical appointments through the kindness of volunteer drivers, who donate time and the use of their personal vehicles. To request transportation or to become a driver, call (801) 227-2345.
- Gift Closet: Free wigs, hats, scarves, bras and some prosthetics for cancer patients. Made by appointment only. Call (801) 357-3767.