MURRAY – Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States, and the month of February is dedicated to raising awareness about the disease. Get on track to better heart health by attending the Intermountain Medical Center Community Healthy Heart Fair.
The free Healthy Heart Fair is Saturday, February 5, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Intermountain Medical Center (Doty Education Center), 5300 South and State Street in Murray. It is the largest heart fair in the state.
Participants can learn about common heart problems, participate in free tests, and learn about diet, medication, insurance benefits, and more to enhance their heart health. The fair is sponsored by the Heart Institute at Intermountain Medical Center, one of the premier heart treatment centers in the nation.
The fair will include free screenings, presentations, activities, and cardiovascular experts — plus light refreshments will be served. Free screenings will include EKG screenings, cholesterol tests, glucose checks, blood pressure tests, and body fat screenings. A Life Flight helicopter and emergency vehicles from Murray City Fire and Police departments will be on display.
Workshops and Q&A with Intermountain Medical Center heart experts will be held hourly:
- 9 a.m. — “Two of the Five Golden Rules For Successful Aging” will be presented by cardiologist Frank Yanowitz, MD
- 10 a.m. — “What is Atrial Fibrillation and How Should It Be Treated?” will be presented by cardiologist John Day, MD
- 11 a.m. — “Recognizing Signs & Symptoms of a Heart Attack” will be presented by Kent Meredith, MD
- Noon — “Vitamin D & Cardiovascular Risk” will be presented by Heidi May, PhD
Information about Medicare coverage will be provided by a Medicare specialist, who will answer questions about inpatient and outpatient payments, as well as cardiac imaging services available for new Medicare patients.
Other heart experts and cardiovascular services from the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute at the fair will include:
- Heart attack emergency medical services
- Cardiac and catheter interventions
- Heart valve therapies
- Peripheral artery disease treatment
- Intermountain Heart Rhythm Specialists
- Intermountain Heart and Lung Surgical Associates
- Catheter ablation
- Intermountain Utah Heart Clinic
- Echo vascular Lab
- U.T.A.H. Cardiac Transplant Program
- EKG services
- Cardiopulmonary rehab
- Cardiovascular research
- Cardiovascular social work
- Diabetes education
- Heart-healthy eating
- Utah Artificial Heart Program
- Heart failure treatment and prevention
- Smoking cessation