Our specialized epilepsy program provides those with epilepsy in Utah and the Intermountain West access to the latest research and treatment options. The program has been named a Level 4 Epilepsy Center by the National Association of Epilepsy Centers
— which is the highest level of certification possible for an epilepsy
program. The designation recognizes the program’s professional expertise
and its ability to provide the highest level of medical and surgical
evaluations and treatment for patients with epilepsy and other seizure
The epilepsy clinic is located on the eighth floor of Intermountain Medical Center’s South Office Building (Building 1). We also have an inpatient Adult Epilepsy Unit located on the 14th floor of the Intermountain Medical Center patient tower. The unit features state-of-the-art, all-digital video-EEG equipment and is staffed by experienced neuro nurses and EEG technologists who specialize in adult epilepsy.
What is Epilepsy?
Epilepsy is a neurological disorder caused by abnormal electrical signals in the brain that produce recurring seizures.
Symptoms can include:
- Brief changes in behavior
- Brief sensory changes
- Confusional episodes
- Déjà vu feelings
- Episodes of loss of awareness or loss of consciousness
- Staring spells
An estimated 3 million people have epilepsy in the United States, including roughly 18,000 in Utah and 52,000 in the Intermountain West. Approximately 10 percent of all Americans will suffer at least one seizure during their lives. While epilepsy can’t be cured, there are treatments to help control the seizures.
Our specialized epilepsy clinic offers a wide range of services for patients 12 years and older, including:
- Comprehensive diagnostic services, including diagnosis of the likelihood and cause of seizures and assessment of the potential for surgical treatment to stop the effects of epilepsy. Epilepsy isn’t always diagnosed correctly — just having an unexplained seizure doesn’t mean you have it. The equipment and technology we have, along with the experience of our care providers, helps us provide exceptional levels of diagnostic expertise.
- Expert medication management for patients with epilepsy, including a wide range of medication options, education on the effects and limitations of various drugs, and options for patients who don’t respond to medication. A thorough and up-to-date understanding of current epilepsy medications, including the specific functions and limitations of various drugs, can benefit almost everyone with epilepsy. Often the disease can be managed very effectively just by knowing what drugs to take and when to take them.
- Advanced lifestyle management resources, including support for patients as they work, drive, and consider becoming pregnant, provided by our physicians with support from experienced social workers and pharmacists.
- Diagnostic imaging including sophisticated neuroimaging with advanced high-resolution 3T magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS), ictal single-photon-emission computed tomography (SPECT), positron emission tomography (PET), and magnetoencephalography (MEG).
- Other services include epilepsy surgery, counseling with neuropsychologists, Vagus nerve stimulator therapy, and more.
In addition to epilepsy patients, we treat those with seizures and seizure disorders, spells (staring or shaking spells; unexplained episodes of loss of consciousness), and psychogenic non-epileptic attacks (pseudoseizures).
What to Expect
Our experts will meet with you to learn about your health history,
ask you questions, and answer your questions. We will run tests to
identify the area of your brain causing the sudden surge of electrical
Your care with us will be personalized to your needs, from the
evaluation of your seizures/spells to the treatment options to manage
In the news
This ABC 4 report tells how brain surgery performed at Intermountain Medical Center seems to have cured Rebecca Farsnworth of epilepsy, a condition she suffered with for more than 30 years.
Make an appointment or get more information by calling (801) 507-9800 or toll-free at (877) 276-3792, and by e-mailing email@example.com.