Whether you had surgery yesterday or two years ago, the physical therapists from Intermountain Medical Center can help with your recovery. We’ll work with your surgeon to create a personalized treatment plan, which will reduce your pain and help restore your range of motion. Some of the techniques we might use include:
- Passive range of motion exercises
- Soft tissue massage
- Ice compresses
- Electric stimulation to reduce pain or improve muscle contraction
We’ll also teach you about stretches and strengthening exercises to do at home – as allowed by your surgeon.
Types of surgeries we treat
- Spinal surgeries (fusion, decompression, laminectomy, discectomy)
- Joint replacements
- Shoulder/rotator cuff repairs
- Ankle, knee, hip, shoulder, elbow, and wrist surgeries
What to expect at physical therapy
- First: We’ll perform a detailed examination and evaluation to determine what types of activities and treatments will benefit you.
- Second: We’ll work with your surgeon to create an individualized treatment plan – along with a home exercise program – for you to do on the days you don’t attend therapy.
How you’ll benefit
- Decreased swelling, pain, and tenderness where you had surgery
- Improved blood flow
- Improved mobility, flexibility, and strength
- Faster, safer return to your previous levels of activity