Bariatric surgery works by limiting food intake and/or interfering with the body’s ability to absorb food. Weight loss of more than 50% excess body weight has been seen in patients 10 years after surgery, and most patients see a dramatic change in lifestyle and overall health.
Am I a candidate?
Surgery may be appropriate for individuals who:
- Have not been able to achieve or maintain a healthy weight through diet and exercise
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- Have a BMI of 30-39 and also have a serious weight-related health problem, such as diabetes or high blood pressure
Surgical Options include:
- Adjustable gastric band surgery
- Gastric bypass, or the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Biliopancreatic diversion with a duodenal switch
- Gastric sleeve surgery
You and your physician will decide which procedure is right for you.
What is my BMI?
To calculate your BMI, by using the following formula: