Certified nurse midwives offer assistance with childbirth and other women's health services at LDS Hospital.
Not just any midwife can provide care in our hospital. All of our certified nurse midwives are registered nurses with years of specialized
training and a masters degree in nurse-midwifery. Each have met
national certification requirements, including a national board
examination and have met Utah's healthcare provider licensing
Our Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNMs) provide a variety of health services to women of all ages, including:
- Providing care and assistance with labor and childbirth
- Providing other women's health services, such as assisting women through life changes associated with menopause
CNMs provide care and assistance with childbirth, including:
- Prenatal care in an office setting
- Assistance with labor and delivery during childbirth
- All births take place in the hospital with physician consultation when necessary
- Patients may choose pain-relieving medications, epidural anesthesia, or natural childbirth
- Postpartum and contraceptive care after delivery, including follow-up care at two and six weeks after the birth
Certified nurse midwives are advanced practice nurses who are able to
provide full care to women before, during and after pregnancy. The care
provided includes prescribing medications and ordering epidural
anesthesia for pain relief during labor, if needed.
Should an at-risk situation develop, nurse midwives
work closely with doctors in Maternal-Fetal Medicine to assure the
highest quality of care for the new mother and her baby.
Other women's health services provided include:
- Family planning (contraception) services
- Yearly screening exams, including pap smears and breast exams
- Menopausal counseling and system management options
- Treatment of vaginal and bladder infections
Certified nurse midwives offer a free consultation visit that gives you an opportunity to meet with one of the providers for further information and to ask questions. They also offer free pregnancy tests with no appointment.
Avenues Midwifery Women’s Healthcare
324 10th Avenue, Suite 184
Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
Phone: (801) 408-1440
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.