Our Cause - Fight Heart Disease!
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in Utah accounting for approximately 4,000 deaths each year. Every year, McKay-Dee Hospital serves over 23,000 patients in their heart services department. Proceeds from The Classic Race go to promote awareness of the disease, education about the disease and technologies to benefit the community in the fight against heart disease.
Here are the facts:
- In the United States, someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds
- Every 60 seconds someone in the United States dies from a heart disease-related event
- 72% of both men and women ages 60 to 79 are diagnosed with Heart disease
- Coronary heart disease caused about 1 of every 6 deaths in the USA in 2008
- Each year an estimated 785,000 Americans will have a new coronary attack about 470,000 will have a recurrent attack
- At least 250,000 people die of heart attacks each year before they reach the hospital
If you haven’t personally been affected by heart disease you most likely know someone who has. Come run for that person, or come run for yourself. Together we can make a difference in the fight against heart disease! Join us on September 7th at Layton Commons Park.