The Importance of Healthy Eating
Healthy eating is important for everyone, at every stage of life. But for someone with heart disease, it’s vital. Healthy eating might mean the difference between enjoying your favorite activities and sitting on the sidelines, or even the difference in the length and quality of your life.
A good diet can help your heart by doing the following:
- Help control or even eliminate major cardiac risk factors. These include risks such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, excess weight, and diabetes.
- Ease the symptoms and progression of heart failure by reducing fluid retention.
- Help your heart medications work better and with fewer side effects.
- Support every other aspect of your treatment by providing more energy, better sleep, and improved digestion.
- Eating is a necessity, a pleasure and an opportunity to improve your health.