Primary Children's is a place of healing. In order to promote a healing and safe environment we would ask that patients, families, visitors, and employees observe the following restrictions and guidelines.
If you have an concerns or questions about these guidelines, please contact the security office at (801) 662-1020.
Parent & Visitor Check-In
Primary Children’s has a computerized visitor check-in program called “Easy Lobby”. The system is used to check in all visitors over the age of 16 who are planning to enter specific patient care areas.
- Any visitor wishing to visit an inpatient unit, same-day surgery, or the emergency department will be stopped at the north information desk, registrar’s desk in same-day surgery or the emergency department to be checked-in.
- Security staff trained in the Easy Lobby program will ask to see photo ID.
- If a visitor doesn’t have identification with them, they will be asked to provide their name, birth date, and will have their picture taken. Persons providing their personal information for manual input by staff must show some form of ID bearing the name they provided.
- Depending on the type of visitor, a badge will be printed. All parents/guardians and visitors will be asked to wear their badges visible to staff whenever they are inside the hospital.
- A parent/guardian of a patient will be issued a “parent” badge to aid in their multiple entries to the hospital during their child’s hospital stay.
- All other visitors will be issued a “visitor” sticker badge that must be renewed each day they visit the hospital.
After 8 p.m., all outside doors are locked except the main (north) entrance. To enter the hospital after hours, please come to the north entrance. A security officer is on duty at the north information desk 24 hours-a-day. As you enter the building, you will be asked to sign in. Individuals, other than parents, requesting to come into the hospital outside of visiiting hours, will be screened by the security officer on a case-by-case basis.
Employee I.D. Badges
All employees and physicians are required to wear identification badges with their photos. Please ask staff to show their badges if the badges are not visible.
All latex balloons are prohibited in the building. Mylar balloons are permitted and can be purchased in the hospital gift shop. Latex balloons are prohibited because they are the leading cause of choking deaths in children. In addition, many patients and staff are allergic to latex, and the incidence of latex sensitivity appears to be increasing. Please let friends and family members know that any balloons sent to patients must be made of Mylar.
- Cell phones can be used in non-patient care areas such as lobbies, waiting rooms, conference rooms, and offices.
- Please do not use cell phones in intensive care units.
- Cell phone users should maintain a distance of three feet from medical equipment, such as IV pumps and ventilators.
Computers are available for parent use in the following areas:
- Medical Library, 1st floor
- Third floor lobby, north end
- Parent Resource Center, 3rd floor
- WiFi service is available throughout the hospital for your convenience
Electrical Toys and Appliances
The hospital maintains strict compliance to national fire safety codes. Electrical toys and appliances such as clocks, radios, curling irons, hair dryers, etc., cannot be brought to the hospital.
For the benefit of our patients, Primary Children's is a tobacco-free campus. There is no smoking or other use of tobacco permitted on the hospital grounds. The nearest smoking area is available across the skybridge, on the soutwest side of University Hospital. Tables and chairs are located there for your convenience.