School programming at Primary Children’s provides opportunities for children and adolescents to continue education activities through academic tasks, reading, and/or social connections with their home school.
Schooling at Primary Children’s follows the basic concept of tutoring. Each child’s educational plan is individualized. Homework from the student’s community school is addressed, making school in the hospital a successful experience.
Facilitating school participation
Assistance with child’s current schoolwork
Help securing credit for child’ schoolwork
and academic materials
Connecting Primary Children’s to schools:
- Helping educate school personnel about specific issues facing each child, such as deficits, special needs, end-of-life issues.
- Assisting families connect with their school personnel.
- Providing resources for families.
- Education training materials.
- Parent Hour to discuss families’ concerns about school (Tuesdays 1 – 2 pm).
- Discharge planning regarding school issues.