Rainbow Kids is the Pediatric Palliative Care program at Primary Children's Medical Center. Rainbow Kids is a consultation service available to any child who is experiencing a life-threatening illness. The program is here to help both the child and family deal with feelings, symptoms, and concerns during a time that may be confusing and overwhelming. Our team is available to assist you with your treatment goals, such as cure, or comfort care.
The palliative care team includes social work, chaplaincy, child life, nursing, and physical. Team members have the specialized training, experience, compassion, and understanding to work with you and your physicians to support you and help you find the path that is best for your child and your family.
This program is available to children and their families regardless of insurance status or ability to pay.
- Our team can help you and your child communicate with your health care team, family members, and your child's siblings. We can assist in gathering the information you need to make the best decisions for your child and family.
- Our team is available to help your child and family explore the meaning of what is happening as you face the challenges of serious illness. We can also assist your family in connecting with your faith group, at your request.
- Our team offers a safe setting to talk about some difficult thoughts and feelings your child and family may experience.
- Our team can help your health care team minimize pain and other uncomfortable physical symptoms, especially toward the end of life.
- Our team can help you find ways to stay connected with your child's school, neighbors, faith community, and friends.