Riverton Hospital will host a free community health fair on Saturday, June 23, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. that will include free screenings, health information, an unprecedented behind-the-scenes look at surgery procedures and the Mega Lungs exhibit – the world’s first walk-through inflatable lungs. This is the first time the Mega Lungs exhibit has visited Utah.
Everyone — including adults, teenagers, and children — is invited to come learn more about being healthy, have fun together, and see the services offered at Riverton Hospital. All events are free and open to the public. Riverton Hospital is located at 3741 West 12600 South in Riverton.
“I’m excited about this year’s fair because we’re planning even more cool, interactive activities for the whole family,” says Blair Kent, Riverton Hospital’s administrator. “We’re excited to open our doors and invite the community in to see the good work that goes on here and show how much we appreciate their support.”
What will happen at the fair?
Some of the things you can do at Saturday’s fair:
- Walk through the world’s first inflatable lungs. The Mega Lungs exhibit is visiting Utah for the first time during the fair. It’s a 12-foot tall, 10-foot long, 15-food wide replica of the human lungs. You’ll get a close-up view the various structures and normal lung functions, observe examples of lung trauma and disease, and view displays explaining some of the latest respiratory medical treatments.
- Get free health screenings including free cholesterol and glucose checks (no fasting required), body-weight analyses, vision acuity and glaucoma screenings, and balance testing.
- Take interactive tours of Riverton’s state-of-the-art operating rooms to get a close-up look at how surgical procedures are done. Riverton’s surgical staff will demonstrate how they use some of their tools and equipment during surgical procedures and even let you try some of it out for yourself. Kids will be able to dress up in scrubs and perform a mock appendectomy.
- Get information about your medications. A pharmacist will be on hand to help answer questions about medications you’re taking or considering.
- Check out a fire truck, police cruiser, ambulance and more. A number of police and fire vehicles will be on display in the parking lot along with information on child safety in and around cars.
- Visit the Imaging Department for interactive displays about ultrasound, MRI, and CT procedures. Visitors will get to ultrasound fish in a bowl.
- Come to the Emergency Department’s Teddy Bear Clinic where they’ll show kids how to stich up and fix their teddy bear’s owies.
- Learn about living with and treating asthma from the experts in Riverton’s Children’s Unit with bubble blowing, games, and activities.
- Visit Primary Children’s Outpatient Services for children’s health assessments, and a fun hand-washing station that helps you see how well you wash your hands.
- Get a free commemorative photo of your visit to Riverton Hospital at our fun photo booth.
A family 5k, sponsored by Primary Children’s Medical Center for their 90th birthday celebration is also being held at 8 a.m. the morning of Riverton’s fair followed by a pancake breakfast. Register at active.com. Space is limited.
For more information about the health fair, please call 801-285-2016.