Electroencephalogram, or EEG, is a technique for studying the electrical current within the brain. Electrodes are attached to the scalp. Wires attach these electrodes to a machine which records the electrical impulses. The results are either printed out or displayed on a computer screen.
Testing times available by appointment only. Please note that a physician's order is required to schedule this procedure.
Sevier Valley Medical Center's Emergency Department provides 24-hour emergency treatment, 365 days a year, to patients of all ages. Our highly-trained team consists of physicians, nurses, technicians, and support staff.
As part of the Intermountain Healthcare system, Sevier Valley Medical Center's emergency department is supported by the full range of Intermountain services and hospitals, including Life Flight, Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, and Primary Children's Medical Center.
All non-invasive diagnostic tests necessary to determine if there is a problem with a patient's heart are available at Sevier Valley Medical Center. When heart defects are detected, more complex diagnostic procedures may be necessary and specific treatments initiated.
- EKGs: Electrical interpretation of heart rhythm
- Echocardiography: Ultrasound specific to function of heart muscle, heart valves and blood flow through the heart
- Holter monitoring: 24-hour heart rhythm monitoring, with coordinated evaluation
- Event monitoring: Recording of specific cardiac events on a monitor that can be transmitted via telephone to the respiratory therapy department
- Cardiac stress testing: Use of treadmill or medication to stress the heart
Call for more information, or to schedule an appointment for a specific cardiology service.
Homecare & Hospice
Intermountain Homecare is a full-service home health service provider, offering nursing and rehab services, medical equipment and supplies, hospice, and infusion therapy services all in the comfort of your home.
Central Utah — Intermountain Homecare
Phone: (435) 896-5884
Sevier, Wayne & Piute counties
Central Utah — Intermountain Hospice
End-of-life care for terminal illness
Phone: (435) 896-5884
Sevier, Wayne, Piute & southern Sanpete counties
Richfield — Medical Equipment
45 East 500 North
Richfield, UT 84701
Phone: (435) 896-5884
Sevier, Wayne & Piute counties
Intermountain Laboratory Services (including Sevier Valley Medical Center's laboratory) is committed to providing the highest quality patient care. All laboratory departments are staffed with highly qualified medical technologists and clinicians with years of experience.
Board certified pathologists provide pathology services and laboratory consultations. Our labs use industry leading equipment to provide the best possible results with quick turn around times on results.
The laboratories of Intermountain Laboratory Services:
- Hold CLIA licensure and all required state licenses
- Meet Medicare program requirements
- Are accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP), the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Health Care Organizations, and state laboratory inspection programs.
To obtain copies of your lab results or for more information, call (435) 893-0242, or fax (435) 896-9306
Working toward Wellness and a Healthy Lifestyle
Creating a healthy lifestyle is one of the most important goals you can accomplish. Sevier Valley Medical Center is here to help you make healthy choices when it comes to diet. Individual nutrition counseling provides a one-on-one session with the dietitian.
Sessions with the registered dietitian include a complete assessment of your overall nutritional status, medical history, and dietary habits, followed by a personalized plan to help you achieve your nutritional goals and a healthy lifestyle. Nutritional guidance is offered for a wide variety of diagnoses and medical problems, as well as for nutrition through the life-cycle.
Nutrition Counseling Appointments
Appointments can be arranged directly by the client, or through the client's doctor. Appointments do need a physician's referral. To make an appointment with the dietician, or for more information, call Jennifer Jacobs at (435) 893-0371.
Services other than nutrition counseling are also provided by the Clinical Nutrition Department.
Sevier Valley offers the Weigh to Health nutrition program to individuals. This program is for adults who desire to lose weight and improve their health. Individual counseling sessions, as well as 12 weekly classes, are offered by a Registered Dietician. There is a fee for this program, some insurances will reimburse. Please call (435) 893-0569 for more information.
Free group diabetes classes are offered in October and February. The sessions are an hour and a half each and go on one day a week for four weeks. Several topics are covered and include diet, meal planning, exercise, blood glucose monitoring, foot care, eye care and medications. Please call Jennifer Jacobs at (435) 893-0371 for more information.
Radiology Imaging Services
Sevier Valley Medical Center's Imaging Services combines personal care and attention with highly technical equipment. The hospital is accredited by the American College of Radiology. To receive ACR-accreditation, Sevier Valley Medical Center voluntarily went through a rigorous review process to assure that you are receiving the best treatment our radiology team can provide.
Computed Tomography (CT)
Computed Tomography (CT) Scanning is an imaging procedure that allows views of the body to be examined and evaluated for vital information. The CT scanner is located in the imaging services department.
MRI and Ultrasound
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and ultrasound are two methods of taking dynamic visual images inside the body without the use of radiation used in x-ray and CT scans. MRI uses powerful magnets and radio waves and ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves to produce images.
Other Radiology Services include:
- General X-ray
- Nuclear Medicine Bone
- Density testing (DEXA)
Scheduling: (435) 893-0262
Respiratory Care offers the following outpatient services (each requires a physician's order):
- PFT: Pulmonary Function Test, a test designed to measure how well the lungs are working. Pulmonary function tests (PFT's) gauge how the lungs are carrying out their tasks of expanding and contracting (when a person inhales and exhales) and of exchanging oxygen and carbon dioxide efficiently between the air (or other gases) within the lungs and the blood. Testing times available by appointment.
- Overnight Oximetry: A test that monitors the oxygen saturation of the blood through the use of a pulse oximeter over the course of the night. The data is downloaded by a respiratory therapist and interpreted by a physician. This is a very strong clinical indicator of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). Testing times available by appointment.
Respiratory Outpatient Clinic
- ROC Samples: Respiratory Syncytial Virus, or RSV, is caused by a virus. It blocks the flow of air through the lungs and makes it hard for your baby to breathe. After a physician's order is obtained, a sample is taken and sent to the on campus lab for culturing.
- Suctioning: Air ways will be cleared of secretions, if indicated.
- Bronchodilators: Medications are given to help the patient breathe easier. The use of Bronchodilators may decrease the wheezing of patients.
Sleep Disorders Lab
The Sleep Disorders Center offers high tech equipment that provides the means for effective diagnosis and treatment for sleep disorders such as snoring, excessive daytime sleepiness and abnormal sleep behaviors.
Most of us have trouble sleeping from time to time, but those with chronic sleep disorders are at risk for serious complications, including high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, automobile and other types of accidents, trouble at work, and strained relationships.
One common misconception is that all sleep disorders can be traced to obstructive sleep apnea. There are a number of different conditions that can cause chronic sleep disturbance, including things like restless leg syndrome, narcolepsy, and insomnia. The Sleep Disorders Lab is equipped to diagnose and treat all types of sleep disorders.
Preparing for Your Appointment
Prior to coming to the Sleep Disorders Center at Sevier Valley Medical Center, please complete the following forms and bring them with you to your appointment:
- Patient Information Form
- Epworth Sleepiness Scale: Please complete the questions on this form to help the sleep lab staff make a more complete assessment
- Observers/Bed Partners Survey: If applicable, this form is to be completed by someone who regularly observers you sleep
Women & Newborn
Each mother has unique needs for her birth experience. Our staff is ready to make the day everything you've imagined it could be.
As a woman moves through life, she goes through many healthcare changes. At Sevier Valley Medical Center, we offer care for every stage. Our physicians, a certified midwife, nurses and other caregivers are experts in helping to meet women's needs.
Children's healthcare needs change over time as well. We have both the technology and skills necessary to provide excellent care for newborns. We are able to provide care and stabilization for pre-term infants, sick newborns and injured or ill children and teens. Staff members strive to provide care to help heal young patients enough to allow them to go home with their families.
Our labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum suites are the only birthing rooms of this design in any local area hospital. Each of the private suites allows the mother to remain in the same room for labor, delivery, recovery. The remainder of her maternity stay will be in an adjacent private room.
Highly-trained staff and the latest equipment are available to provide care for your baby and your peace of mind. Whether you're starting a family or adding on to one, we understand how personal having a baby is for both you and your partner.
Keeping the mother and her baby together immediately after delivery, and as much as the mother desires during her stay, is one of our highest priorities. The large suites also allow for some family members to participate in the birth process to whatever degree the mother feels comfortable.
We also provide Hill Rom birthing beds, jacuzzi tubs, and a sleep area for the labor coach. The rooms are provide for relaxation with a dimmer switch for the lights, music, and various child birth aids, such as a birthing ball, bean bag chairs, and rocking chairs.
Immediate breast feeding is encouraged if the mother is interested. Trained staff members teach and assist when needed.
Options are available for anesthesia or for natural childbirth.