The History of Utah Valley Regional Medical Center
Utah Valley Regional Medical Center was founded in 1939 as Utah Valley Hospital with 55 beds and 38 physicians. The hospital was busy from the first day. In 1951, 60 beds were added, bringing the capacity to 115. In 1953, at the request of the board of directors, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints assumed ownership of Utah Valley Hospital.
In 1960, another expansion brought the total number of beds to 240. By 1969, there were 98 physicians with medical staff privileges. In 1970, the first fully staffed 24-hour emergency center south of Salt Lake City was opened at Utah Valley Hospital. In 1975, the seven-story tower was started. The LDS Church divested its interest in hospitals and Intermountain Healthcare was created. By 1978, the hospital had grown to 389 beds and 73 nursery bassinets with a medical staff of 200.
In 1984, the name of the hospital was officially changed to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. The name change reflects the fact that the facility has become one of Utah's largest major referral centers, serving all of central and southern Utah and its surrounding areas.
In 1999, Utah Valley Regional Medical Center expanded as the West Building was added to the campus, expanding Women's and Children's Services and Same Day Surgery. The South Building opened in 2002 where Behavioral Health and Administrative Offices are located. A hyperbaric medicine chamber was added to the South Building in 2006.
Since Utah Valley Regional Medical Center first opened its doors in 1939, it has been committed to meeting the needs of the people who live in Utah County and central and southern Utah. As this campus grows, it will continue its evolution as a place of learning, a place of caring and a place where healing will surround those who are here.