Weight loss surgery is a life-changing decision. The answers to the following questions can help you decide if weight loss surgery is right for you.
Who are candidates for bariatric (weight loss) surgery?
- If you have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of greater than 40, or are 100 lbs. or more overweight.
- You have a Body Mass Index (BMI) between 35 and 40, with significant related illness or conditions made worse by obesity (these secondary conditions are called comorbidities).
- You have failed other diet attempts or medically managed weight-loss programs.
Who is not eligible for bariatric surgery?
- Your obesity is related to an untreated metabolic or endocrine disorder.
- You have an untreated history of substance abuse or untreated major psychiatric disease.
- You have health conditions that are severe enough that surgery would be dangerous.
- You want to become pregnant within the next 18 months.
- You are 65 years of age or older.
Is bariatric surgery right for you?
The best way to determine if weight loss surgery is right for you is to speak with one of our surgeons. The following criteria may also assist you when making your choice:
- Your personal and health goals
- The cause of your obesity
- A sound understanding of why you overeat
- Your body type
- Your risk tolerance
- Your ability to tolerate and accept consequences or side effects
- Other medical conditions you have