For an Italian feast, enjoy white meat chicken in a light and creamy Alfredo sauce with basil and garlic over whole wheat spaghetti.
- 8 oz. whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 quarts water
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp. yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
- 5 each 4 oz. chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 5 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 3/4 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. walnut halves and pieces, toasted
- 1 tbsp. parsley, chopped
Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- Heat water to a rolling boil; add pasta, oil and salt; cook until Al dente. Hold hot.
- Sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil until light brown.
- Add milk, chicken broth, flour, salt and pepper over low heat until smooth and thick.
- Continue to cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens; stir in parmesan cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350F; place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 13 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 165F is reached; thinly slice.
- Heat the cooked bacon and garlic in a pan until bacon is crisp, add the chopped basil; sauté.
- Add the lite Alfredo, peas and the pasta; toss to coat.
- On a plate, portion 1 cup of the Carbonara; fan 1 chicken breast to the side of the pasta.
- Garnish each plate with 1 pinch of black pepper and 1 tsp. of walnuts and chopped parsley.