Pasta Puttanesca with Wilted Baby Spinach
To satisfy an Italian cuisine craving, this classic pasta puttanesca is perfect with a chunky red sauce filled with tomatoes, olives, capers, and fresh herbs.
- In a sauté pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray; add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook for 4 minutes or until onions are translucent and beginning to brown; add broth and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook 1 minute; add diced tomatoes, olives and capers; bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil, parsley and oregano.
- Separately, cook wheat penne pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat skillet with olive oil; add spinach, garlic and onion.
- Sauté briefly; add balsamic vinegar; toss to coat.
- Serve 1/2 cup of puttanesca over 3/4 cup whole wheat penne pasta with 1/2 cup Wilted Spinach.
- Garnish puttanesca with 1 teaspoon parmesan cheese per serving.
Note: Video of recipe preparation to be posted after KSL's filming for Your Life Your Health.