Butternut Squash Soup with Baked Pita Chips
Thick, rich soup is a light and healthy option that is high on taste and an instant hit, served with baked pita chips for the perfect crunch. Whip it up with a variety of garnishes for flair.
Butternut Squash Soup:
- In a large stock pot, place the broth, juice and the butternut squash; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until squash is tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Puree the contents of the pot in a blender or immersion blender until smooth.
- Return pureed squash mixture to the pot.
- Add jalapeno pepper, carrots, diced roasted red pepper, turnips, cabbage, nutmeg, lemon juice, paprika, salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in orzo; cover and simmer until pasta is tender and soup is thickened.
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Baked Pita Chips:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut each pita into 4 triangles; bake on a cookie sheet until toasted, 8-10 minutes.
Serve 1 cup of butternut squash soup (8oz) with 4 baked pita chips; garnish soup with fresh chopped parsley.
Note: Video of recipe preparation to be posted after KSL's filming for Your Life Your Health.