Dance Like the Stars!
One of the main reasons that people avoid exercise is, well, it can be boring. Running on a treadmill? Swimming laps? Not your style, huh?
One form of exercise that almost everyone enjoys is dancing. Whether you're a potential contestant on "So You Think You Can Dance" or more likely to be featured on "America's Funniest Home Videos," dancing is a great way to get your blood flowing and burn some calories.
Some ideas on how to work dancing into your day:
- If you babysit or have younger siblings, this is a great way to let off some steam!
- If your room is a mess, crank up the music and get to work — boogie down while you clean up.
- Put on some upbeat music and ask mom and dad to show you dance moves from way-back-when ("Footloose" anyone?).
- There are also all sorts of dance classes that can be really fun too — everything from Zumba to ballroom dance (you never know, there may come a day when you're glad you know how to waltz!).
- You can even get a good workout using a videogame system — a study published in the journal Pediatrics found that kids who play the video game "Dance Dance Revolution" get a workout that's equal to walking at a moderate to intense pace.
So you think you can dance? Yes, you can!