About Provider Search
Verifying Provider Information
The online Provider Search tool is populated from an Intermountain
Healthcare database of physicians and other healthcare practitioners
who meet both conditions below:
- Completion of the Intermountain Healthcare credentialing verification process that is repeated every three years. Not all types of healthcare practitioners are required to go through the Intermountain Healthcare credentialing process. Healthcare practitioners who are not credentialed by Intermountain Healthcare do not show up in the online provider directory.
- Contractual participation with one or more SelectHealth insurance plans OR medical staff membership at one or more Intermountain Healthcare hospitals.
- Intermountain and SelectHealth reserve the right to exclude certain medical specialties and certain providers from the online directory, for example, providers who choose not to be listed, providers who see patients on a walk-in basis only (such as InstaCare, KidsCare or WorkMed providers), or hospitalist physicians who see hospital inpatients only.
Information about providers in the online directory changes frequently and often without notice. Intermountain
Healthcare and SelectHealth have formal policies and procedures that address the collection and validation of
directory information. However, responsibility falls on providers to report changes to their information so the
database can be updated accordingly.
The information listed below is verified by Intermountain Healthcare
when a provider is initially credentialed. Updates to this information
are also subsequently verified every three years thereafter.
- Medical education and post-graduate residency and fellowship training.
- Medical specialty, meaning the specialty or specialties recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties
(ABMS) in which a provider was formally trained.
- Board certification, meaning the process
whereby a licensed physician has elected to undergo an examination
before a board of professional peers to establish expertise beyond
regular medical licensure in an ABMS specialty or sub-specialty. This
information applies to physicians only and not other types of
healthcare practitioners. You may visit the ABMS website to
verify a physician's board certifications.
- Hospital affiliations, meaning the Intermountain Healthcare hospitals at which a provider holds active or
courtesy medical staff privileges. Only providers who treat patients in a hospital setting will show hospital
affiliations in the online directory. The listing is limited to Intermountain Healthcare hospitals and may not be
a comprehensive list of hospitals with which a provider is affiliated, nor a comprehensive list of hospitals
offered in the area.
- Office addresses, phone numbers, and medical group affiliations, meaning the name of a multi-specialty clinic
that is associated with a provider's office address. SelectHealth has a policy and procedure to verify office
locations and phone numbers when a provider joins a SelectHealth plan or network. Changes to a provider's office
information is usually verified by SelectHealth upon notification of the change by a provider. Due to the
frequency of changes to office information among several thousand providers, not all changes are verified.
- SelectHealth plan participation, meaning the insurance plans or networks administered by SelectHealth for which
a provider has an active contract to treat members of the plan according the plan's fee schedule and policies. The
list of plans is limited to those offered by SelectHealth and may not be a comprehensive list of plans accepted by
a provider, nor a comprehensive list of health insurers offered in the area.
The information listed below is self-reported by providers and is
not verified or reviewed in the Intermountain Healthcare credentialing
process. Not all providers listed in the directory have supplied this
information. Efforts to collect this information have been focused on
physicians but will expand to other practitioner types in 2007.
- Foreign language fluencies, meaning any languages besides English in which a provider is able to speak and
understand with patients.
- Professional memberships, meaning a provider's memberships in organized medical professional societies.
- Office hours, meaning the days of the week and the hours that a provider is open for seeing patients. Days and
hours may vary by office location for providers with multiple offices.
- After-hours instructions, meaning the instructions a provider lists in the directory on how to get access to
care after a provider's office is closed for the day.
- Accepting new patients, meaning information on whether a provider's practice is open or closed to new patients
or certain patient types. This information may vary by office location or SelectHealth insurance plan.
- Practice focus, meaning any specific treatments, conditions, areas of the body, or patient types that a provider
specifically focuses on or excludes from his or her practice. Providers are asked not to list anything that is
outside of their formal training or conflicts with their hospital privileges.
- Patient education material, meaning general health or medical education documents that a provider chooses to
make available to the public through the online directory.
Inclusion of a provider in the online directory is not a guarantee
of coverage for any health insurance plan. Before receiving medical
services, it is recommended that patients consult their health
insurance plan to verify provider participation, referral and
authorization requirements, and benefits including limitations and
The online directory is not intended as a recommendation, referral,
or endorsement of any particular provider, or as a tool for verifying
the credentials, qualifications, abilities, or availability of any such
The online directory and any of the data, listings or other
information contained therein may not be republished, sold, or
re-purposed, in whole or in part, in any medium, for use in any other
list of providers or for any purpose whatsoever, except for express use
as a directory of Intermountain Healthcare credentialed providers who
contract with one or more SelectHealth insurance plans.