I am trained in Internal Medicine, Sports Medicine and Emergency Medicine. I have a medical practice focused to manage patients needing physician support with health and wellness, disease prevention, medical risk factor reduction and care of conditions related to internal medicine and musculoskeletal medicine. Common conditions treated include:
- Cardiovascular disease and risk factor management, including hypertension, lipid disorders, smoking, overweight/obesity, diabetes, peripheral vascular disease, chronic inflammation, etc.
- Chronic conditions including arthritis, bursitis, soft tissue inflammatory diseases, and back pain.
- Evaluations for fatigue, musculoskeletal pain syndromes, and joint disorders.
- Sports injuries and overuse problems.
I also provide the following wellness and health promotion services:
- Exercise programs for health promotion.
- Nutritional counseling and obesity management.
- Preventive health check-ups.
- University Of Utah School Of Medicine - Salt Lake City, UT in Doctor of Medicine, 1976
- Residency: University of Utah Medical Center - Salt Lake City, UT in Internal Medicine, 1976-1979
- Board Certifications
- AM BD INTERNAL MEDICINE
- Certification does not expire
- Professional Memberships
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Professional Positions
Primary Care Sports Medicine has been a professional interest of mine since 1993. Having spent prior years in general Internal Medicine and Emergency Medicine, I wanted to direct my skill towards keeping patients fit, healthy and free of the problems that often come from an active and athletic lifestyle. I have worked with Salt Lake Athletic Medicine, The Orthopedic Specialty Clinic, Olympic Venue Medical Officer, and as a team and event physician for the U.S. Speedskating team.
|Personal Bio & Interests
My clinical practice is at the Intermountain Health and Fitness Institute on the LDS Hospital campus. I am the Medical Director for the Institute and have provided consultation to patients here since 1999. I maintain a consultative practice to assist other physicians with their patients and their needs in risk factor prevention, and management and in sports performance and injury care. I have a limited group of executive and active adult patients in my primary care practice.
Working with a multi-disciplinary healthcare team including doctors, physical therapists, exercise physiologists and dieticians, this practice offers a gateway to wellness for patients seeking prevention, performance improvement and disease management services. Key to our treatment plan are resources provided to the patient to take charge of their own health. These include our unique health risk appraisals and our book, "Maintaining the Miracle - an Owner's Manual for the Human Body," (www.maintainingthemiracle.com).
I have been an Olympic physician and team physician over the years. My current sports medicine practice is with Intermountain Sports Medicine Specialists on the LDS Hospital campus. I enjoy personal lifetime sports of golf, cycling and hiking. I also enjoy helping others achieve their lifetime activity and performance goals.