Intermountain Healthcare and Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah have formed an alliance to fight cancer. By teaming up and focusing on research, education and excellent treatment, these institutions plan to take cancer care in Utah to its highest level.
While the two healthcare systems will continue to provide cancer services independently, they will work together to identify and implement best clinical practices.
Specific elements of the collaboration include:
- Best clinical practice standards. Both institutions will collaborate in identifying and implementing best practices in cancer care.
- Huntsman-Intermountain Cancer Centers. These centers are in development at various locations throughout Utah, to bring outpatient cancer treatment closer to patients and their families.
- Huntsman-Intermountain Cancer Care Clinics. These multi-disciplinary, tumor-specific clinics provide one-stop service for cancer patients to meet with the different cancer specialists on the same day, resulting in a comprehensive treatment plan. The clinics will be located in major Intermountain facilities and will be staffed by Huntsman-Intermountain physician members.
- Huntsman-Intermountain Cancer Education Centers. These education centers, located within Huntsman-Intermountain Cancer Centers, offer a wide variety of materials and information on the diagnosis, treatment and support for those with cancer.
- Data sharing for research. By combining medical outcomes data, both institutions will make more rapid progress in identifying the best treatments.
- Research funding. Intermountain is contributing $25 million over five years towards basic science cancer research at HCI.
- SelectHealth. Effective summer 2005, HCI hospital became an approved facility for the SelectHealth insurance network.