Intermountain Healthcare and Huntsman Cancer Institute at the University of Utah have formed a new alliance to fight cancer. Here are some frequently asked questions about the alliance.
1) Have Huntsman Cancer Institute and Intermountain merged?
- No. They have created an alliance that allows them to expand cancer research, share expertise, improve clinical care, and provide cancer education.
- Both organizations will continue to provide cancer services as separate, independent operating organizations.
- This alliance brings together Huntsman Cancer Institute's laboratory, population sciences and clinical research capabilities with Intermountain's large patient base, clinical programs and computer-integrated systems.
2) Where should I go for cancer care?
- This is a personal decision. However, cancer patients and referring physicians should know that cancer care in Utah is among the best available anywhere in the world.
- All facilities that bear the Huntsman-Intermountain alliance name meet rigorous criteria for cancer specialization, tumor board participation, outcomes research, and clinical trials participation.
- SelectHealth members now have the option of going to Huntsman Cancer Institute for cancer treatment.
- Intermountain provides cancer care facilities or centers in convenient locations throughout the state. This means patients can receive ongoing cancer treatment close to home.