Asbestos is a substance that was used in building materials. The
substance can enter the body by being inhaled or swallowed. The substance
attaches to the lining of the respiratory and digestive tracts. Contact with
asbestos over time has been linked with cancer.
Most contact with asbestos is work-related. Some older homes may
still have asbestos insulation. Government environmental offices have
information on safety for asbestos contact and removal.
September 23, 2011
Sarah Marshall, MD - Family Medicine & Peter Rabinowitz, MD, MPH - Occupational and Environmental Medicine
How this information was developed to help you make better health decisions.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.