The Central Laboratory’s Microbiology Department provides around-the-clock staffing performing a full range of aerobic and anaerobic bacterial cultures in addition to limited processing of Mycobacterial and fungal cultures; critical cultures are examined multiple times daily. Directed PNAFISH staining of blood cultures for rapid identification of staphylococci and yeast is also performed. The Microbiology Department has the expertise to perform full identification of intestinal and malarial parasites. They also perform the microbiology for several hospitals and numerous clinics and doctors offices, Intermountain Medical Center, McKay Dee Hospital, LDS Hospital, Alta View Hospital, Riverton Hospital, Park City Hospital, Heber Valley Hospital, American Fork Hospital, Utah Valley Medical Center, Orem Community Hospital, Delta Community Hospital, Fillmore Community Hospital, Sevier Valley Hospital, and Sanpete Valley Hospital.
- 39 employees
- Provides around-the-clock service
- 40,800 tests performed per month
- 38,300 cultures processed each month
- BS degree from an accredited university and certification as medical laboratory scientist required
- Departmental technologists receive 6 months of one-on-one training