Age can cause facial skin to lose volume. This loss of volume can make the face look hollow and less full. Dermal fillers are synthetic materials that are injected into the face to restore youthfulness. Fillers are used for lip plumping as well as the treatment of wrinkles and folds. At McKay-Dee Dermatology & Plastic Surgery, your dermatologist can employ collagen and fillers to treat these areas of the face:
- nasolabial folds (parenthesis around the mouth)
- marionette lines (the lines just below the corners of the lips)
- tear troughs (dark under-eye circles)
What to Expect
Unlike major plastic surgery, dermal filling can be done in just a few minutes with almost no recovery time. When you arrive for your appointment, your dermatologist will work with you to determine which areas need treatment. The injection site will then be cleaned, and the injections administered. Injections are mixed with lidocaine to help control discomfort. It is recommended that you do not push on the injection sites immediately after treatment to avoid movement of the fillers. Most patients can put on makeup and return to work immediately after their appointment.
Types of Dermal Fillers
There are many different types of dermal fillers available. Our doctors are both experienced and skilled at helping you decide which collagen or non-collagen filler will be the most cost-effective and help you look your best.
- Restylane® is a hyaluronic acid dermal filler. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the skin that helps add volume and hydration to skin tissues. Hyaluronic injections generally last 9-12 months.
- Radiesse® is a unique filler that is particularly well suited to treatment of areas such as cheek folds or "marionette lines," which extend down from the corners of the mouth, and for augmenting the natural contours of the facial bones, such as the cheeks and jawline. It is made of calcium hydroxylapatite—the same basic substance found naturally in teeth and bones, but made soft and injectable with the addition of a smooth absorbable gel. That combination stimulates production of your own collagen and causes a smooth and natural improvement in wrinkles that can last for 2 years.
- Juvederm® is a clear “soft tissue filler." As we age, we lose volume in our face, which is typically caused by a loss of facial fat. While this may sound like a good thing initially, it tends to cause a few less desirable conditions, including the nasolabial fold (parenthesis around the mouth) to turn downward, our lips to wrinkle more, and our cheeks to flatten. Juvederm® takes on the color of skin and can also be molded upon injection to provide a more natural, looking result.
Side effects from dermal fillers are rare, but may occur. We can answer any questions or concerns you may have during your free consultation.