Nutrition Class Topics
- Required core class: stoplight style of eating, the USDA Food Guide
- Nutrients and the body: carbohydrates, sugar (soda drinks), fiber (fruits, vegetables, whole grains), protein, fats
- Family meals: breakfast, snacks, fast food, school lunch
- Label reading
- Meal planning ideas: plate methods, calendars, recipes, websites
Physical Activity Class Topics
- Required core class: physical activity overview, ideas for playful fun, and limiting screen time
- Cardiovascular activities: walking, dancing, running, swimming, sports
- Flexibility activities: yoga, pilates, stretching at home
- Strength and endurance activities: weights, resistance bands
- Instructor choice: try a new activity and teach others
Behavior Class Topics
- Required core class: self-esteem, body acceptance, body shape, teasing
- Environment: family support, positive attitudes about food
- Awareness: emotional eating, hunger scale, intuitive eating
The group option is a series of one-hour classes on nutrition, physical activity, and behavior change.
Currently, classes are only offered through Intermountain McKay-Dee Hospital Center with sessions taught in both English and Spanish throughout the year.
Start the program at the beginning of a LiVe Class session.
- For more information, contact the McKay-Dee LiVe Program administrator at 801-387-7854 or by email.
If you prefer to meet one-on-one with a dietitian experienced in pedatric weight management, this option is available outside of the LiVe Healthy Habits for Kids Program at many Intermountain facilities. Individual counseling may be covered by your health insurance plan.