Nutrition Class Topics
- Required core class: stoplight style of eating, the USDA Food Guide
- Nutrients and the body: carbohydrates, sugar (soda drinks), fiber (fruits, vegetables, whole grains), protein, fats
- Family meals: breakfast, snacks, fast food, school lunch
- Label reading
- Meal planning ideas: plate methods, calendars, recipes, websites
Physical Activity Class Topics
- Required core class: physical activity overview, ideas for playful fun, and limiting screen time
- Cardiovascular activities: walking, dancing, running, swimming, sports
- Flexibility activities: yoga, pilates, stretching at home
- Strength and endurance activities: weights, resistance bands
- Instructor choice: try a new activity and teach others
Behavior Class Topics
- Required core class: self-esteem, body acceptance, body shape, teasing
- Environment: family support, positive attitudes about food
- Awareness: emotional eating, hunger scale, intuitive eating
The group option is a series of one-hour classes on nutrition, physical activity, and behavior change. Only 9 classes are required to complete the program; however, you can attend all the classes offered in a 12-month period if you wish.
Classes are offered at many locations throughout the state
The standard 12-month series includes 3 “core” classes—one each in the nutrition, physical activity, and behavior categories —and 6 more classes of your choice.
Start the program anytime a core class is offered.
You and your family attend sessions one-on-one with a dietitian who acts as your coach over the course of the program.
Your coach evaluates your eating habits, physical activity, and family environment—then gives you personalized feedback and tips.
You can schedule appointments at your convenience and at your own pace. To complete the program, schedule 9 sessions in a 12-month period. You can also attend the group physical activity classes.
Topics are personalized to your unique needs and lifestyle.
- Need tips for cooking and shopping healthy?
- Ideas for a more active lifestyle?
- Tools to gauge progress and stay motivated?
Your coach can help you learn what you need to know, when you need to know it.