As implementation continues to roll out across Intermountain, iCentra will progressively transform how we provide care by leveraging new technologies and approaches to make healthcare safer and more effective, efficient, and affordable.
Q. What is iCentra?
A. Intermountain Healthcare's future clinical information system will transform healthcare by leveraging new technologies and approaches, making healthcare safer and more effective, efficient and affordable. Key elements of our future clinical information systems include:
- Always available and fast
- User friendly and intuitive, allowing clinicians to focus on their clinical work
- Clinical information in the system is clearly understandable by clinicians and computers by connecting standard clinical terminology to standard medical data codes that allow clinical teams to create new clinical and data workflows that meet the specific needs of their clinic
- Easy creation of customized software solutions
- Information will be accessible across care time, settings and organizations allowing seamless transitions of care
- Meets the research and teaching needs of academic colleagues
- Integrates patient self-care with the monitoring and communication needs of clinicians
Q. Why iCentra?
A. The implementation of iCentra will result in immediate benefits to all teams, including:
- Familiar user interfaces (similar to Help2 interface) with new functionality
- Greater efficiency in collecting data
- More clinical decision support
- Flexibility to develop workflows
- Easier coordination between teams
- Regulatory reporting and attestation
- Mobile workflows – fast, easy, and smart
Q. How will iCentra affect patient care?
A. What sets Intermountain apart from other leading healthcare systems is our rigorous approach to analyzing outcomes and improving patient care. Intermountain Healthcare is implementing iCentra to help increase the quality, safety, and efficiency of the care we provide patients and the community.
Q. How will iCentra affect employees?
A. iCentra will help create a healthcare community that improves the quality of care we provide patients through better coordination. Integrating the clinical systems will significantly reduce duplicate testing, imaging, and paper processing (like faxing orders or mailing results). It will also create better experiences for physicians and clinicians.
Q. How will end users learn iCentra?
A. Training will take place six weeks before a region goes live on iCentra, so that learning happens closer to when teams will start using the system on a day-to-day basis. This will maximize the value of the training and help users retain more knowledge. Additionally, all employees will have access to trainers and super users (onsite teams who have expert knowledge of iCentra) to support everyone during the first few weeks after go live.
Q. What happens when iCentra goes live?
A. As the first sites go live here's what to expect:
- Multiple opportunities to review and validate the system prior to the "go live" release
- Opportunities for early adopters to provide localized workflow feedback and validate local data
- An "iterative" release strategy, allowing for continued enhancements and innovation releases following the initial go live
- Opportunities for "super users" from early sites to leverage their experience and knowledge and share that with future sites
All employees will have access to trainers and super users (onsite teams who have expert knowledge of iCentra) to support everyone during the first few weeks after go live.
There will be downtime kits available in all departments for any planned or unplanned downtime.
Q. The system we have seems to work. Why is Intermountain Healthcare making the change to iCentra?
A. It is the goal of Intermountain Healthcare to transform healthcare delivery by aligning with all doctors, clinicians, and community partners. By having all Intermountain physicians use iCentra, we will improve privacy and security, reduce costs, and transform effective healthcare delivery.
Q. Who is Cerner?
A. From real-time decision support to developing innovative solutions that offer cost-transparency (activity-based costing), Cerner is best aligned with Intermountain strategically to transform healthcare.
Cerner immediately accelerates key functionality available to Intermountain's clinicians, providing a comprehensive electronic medical record system that adds features not currently available to Intermountain clinicians and Information System teams.
To prepare for the future of healthcare, we need a system that is flexible and allows us to innovate quickly and measure our successes. With its approach to service oriented architecture, Cerner's system is adaptable, allowing clinicians to develop innovative workflows and processes. Additionally, because we can integrate the Cerner system with our data warehouse, clinicians will be better prepared for Shared Accountability and population health management.
Cerner is committed to making this a successful implementation. They have a clear leadership commitment to create a new world of health I.T. They are placing a significant part of their company in Utah, moving their chief of staff and other executives to Utah.