Looking for a delicious heart-healthy recipe? Well here is one of my favorites. It's pretty simple to make, and they can work was either a dessert or an after-school snack. Give it a try.
- 1 cup rolled oats, quick cooking or old fashioned
- 1 cup whole spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup packed natural brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup expeller pressed canola oil
- 5 tablespoons orange juice, divided
- 1/2 cup fruit sweetened black cherry preserves
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, sunflower seeds and cherries in a large bowl.
- Add oil and 3 tablespoons orange juice, mixing well until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Reserve a half cup and press the rest into a lightly oiled 8-by-8-inch baking pan.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice with the cherry preserves and spread evenly over the oat mixture in the pan. Sprinkle reserved oat mixture over the top and press down lightly with fingers.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool in the pan on a wire rack, then cut into bars or squares. Store in an airtight contained in the refrigerator.
Amount per serving: 180 Kcals | 23g Carbs | 9g Fat | 2g Protein
Makes 16 servings