We all like to go out to eat every now and then. Here are some tips to help you choose healthier dishes at your favorite restaurants.
When you are in the mood for a big breakfast at McDonalds try to build your own from their healthier choices instead of choosing their Big Breakfast deal.
Instead try some of these options:
- Big Breakfast with Hotcakes (includes biscuit, sausage, hash brown, egg and pancakes): 1090 calories, 56 grams fat
- Fruit & yogurt parfait: 128 calories, 1.6 grams fat
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal (without cream): 270 calories, 2.5 grams fat
If you are craving something sweet try to watch your portion size.
- 20 ounce chocolate shake: 627 calories, 18 grams fat
- 16 ounce chocolate shake: 478 calories, 14 grams fat
- 12 ounce chocolate shake: 358 calories, 10 grams fat
When eating at your favorite restaurants soups may be a low calorie option. Look for soups made with a broth base instead of a milk or cream base.
Olive Garden Soup:
- Minestrone: 100 calories, 1 gram fat
- Pasta e Fagioli: 130 calories, 2.5 grams fat
Try to look for their “healthy” or “light” menu options.
- Compare Olive Garden’s Tuscan Garlic Chicken: 1050 calories, 58 grams fat
- To the lunch portion of the Venetian Apricot Chicken: 290 calories, 4.5 grams fat
When picking out side dishes look for “steamed”, “grilled” or “fresh”. Take Outback Steak House for example…
- Grilled Asparagus: 52 calories, 4 grams fat
- Steamed Green Beans: 55 calories, 3 grams fat
- Fresh seasonal mixed veggies: 96 calories, 3 grams fat
- Garlic mashed potatoes- 305 calories, 17 grams fat
- Sweet potato with toppings- 465 calories, 16 grams fat
- Dressed baked potato- 330 calories, 11 grams fat