If you are expecting a new baby, you are more than likely
already preparing for his or her arrival. One way to help you with the
transition and to ensure you are ready for your baby is to choose a
pediatrician while you are still pregnant.
Here are some reasons why choosing a pediatrician before your
child is born is a good idea:
- The baby's first exam will take place immediately after
birth, so you might want to choose a pediatrician who practices at the hospital
where your baby will be born.
- You will probably see your pediatrician more the first year
of your baby's life than at any other time.
- Your pediatrician is also an expert on general child health and a valuable resource for other baby issues.
- Most pediatricians will provide you with information sheets
that cover the most common concerns such as growth, soft spots on the
baby's head, ears, nutrition, eyes, and other general health issues.
- Early pediatrician appointments are critical for your
newborn to determine if there are any abnormalities or unusual health issues.
Choosing the right pediatrician is a very important decision for both you and your new baby. A pediatrician can help you with the many choices you are faced with as a new parent – such as breastfeeding, parenting style, and using antibiotics, etc. Most importantly, choose a pediatrician with whom you feel comfortable and one that is conveniently accessible to both you and your baby.