I recommend that people who sit a lot in their jobs, do gentle exercises throughout the day. It's a great way to help the fluids in the body move a little better, as well make your inactive job a little more active.
Do the following exercises twice a day to help you maintain flexibility and strength.
- Marching: While sitting, lift one knee, then put it down. Then, lift the other knee and put it down. Do this 10 – 15 times.
- Kicks: While sitting, straighten one leg at the knee and return it to the starting position. Then, straighten the other leg at the knee and return in to the starting position. Do this 10 – 15 times.
- Ankle Alphabet: Move your feet to spell the letters of the alphabet. Go through the alphabet at least 2 times with each foot.
- Calf Stretch: Sit with your legs straight out in front of you. Loop a towel around the ball of one foot. Gently pull the towel, keeping your knee straight. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Repeat 5 times. Then, switch legs and repeat.
- Hamstring Stretch: Sit with your legs straight out in front of you. Reach to touch your toes, keeping your knees and back straight. Hold this position for 30 seconds. Repeat 5 times.