- Come on now!! Don’t try to lose pounds during the holidays, instead make a goal to maintain your current weight.
- Get out and exercise. This will not only relieve holiday stress but can prevent weight gain as well. Chances are if your body is moving, you will not be thinking about food.
- Don’t arrive hungry and don’t skip meals. Before leaving for a party, eat a light snack of raw vegetables with hummus or prepare one of your favorite protein shakes. The idea here is to curb your appetite so that you will be less tempted to over-eat.
- Take a close look at the selection of dishes before filling your plate. Decide which are your favorite foods and skip the rest. Use a small plate if you can and don’t stack it high. Remember to include larger portions of vegetables and cut back on the starches. Most of the time, this is where extra calories are hidden and extra pounds are gained.
- Enjoy your favorite holiday treats but eat less of them. Eat until you are satisfied and not stuffed.
- If you overeat at one meal go light on the next. It takes 500 calories per day above your normal/maintenance consumption to gain one pound. It is unlikely that you will gain weight from one slice of pie.
- Bring your own healthy dish to a holiday party. Get in the kitchen and “Apron Up”. Preparing some of your favorite dishes that are lower in fat and calories will help promote healthy eating and your guest feeling great.
“Stop Dieting and Learn How to Eat”