A vision board is simply creating a compelling statement of who you are and what health-promoting, life-giving behaviors you want to practice consistently. Research has shown that self-change is a staged process. We move from not thinking about changing a behavior, to thinking about it, to planning to change, and then testing out ways to do it before we actually start.
With a new year here, how can we make our goals and dreams become more of a reality? Vision Boards are a useful way to envision how you see yourself in the future. Here are some points to think about when beginning a board:
- Describe what your vision looks like. Paint a picture. (Or use magazine cuttings).
- “The goal or behavior I want to work on first is ____.”
- “My reasons for wanting to change this behavior are…”
- “The challenges that I have to deal with in changing this behavior are…”
- “My strategies for dealing with those challenges are…”
- “My goal for next week with respect to this behavior is…”
- What you would look and feel like at your ideal level of wellness.
- What kind of person you want to be when it comes to your health, fitness, or wellness.