You can help prevent the spread of the influenza virus this season by taking these simple steps:
- Get your annual flu shot - a flu shot can be your best defense against contracting, and thus spreading the virus. You can go to any Intermountain Community Pharmacy to get your annual flu shot - no appointment necessary! Find the nearest location HERE.
- Boost your Vitamin D, Zinc and Omega-3 - Vitamin D may effectively boost immunity and help prevent colds. Zinc can slow the multiplication of the virus in the nose and throat, and so appear to shorten colds. Omega-3 fatty acid has immune-fortifying properties. They can increase the activity of phagocytes (cells that fight flu by eating up bacteria) and increase airflow/protect the lungs from colds and respiratory infections by reducing inflammation!
- Wash your hands - this one is a no brainer. It doesn't hurt to wash your hands often during flu season. Although washing your hands is recommended, a good hand sanitizer can be used after a visit to the grocery store or at work to kill any germs on your hands.
- Cover your mouth - a cough or sneeze can project germs from your body into the air. As the weather gets colder, those germs can float in the air even longer, thus increasing the risk of potential exposure.
- If you are ill, stay home! - if you have the flu, it's best to call in sick. Limit your interactions with others to help stop the spread of germs!
If you are suffering from flu symptoms, Intermountain Connect Care’s providers are available 24/7 to conduct a medical evaluation and offer advice and prescriptions as necessary, so you can get back to the activities you love, no matter the season. Visit intermountainconnectcare.com or download the Connect Care app on iTunes or Google Play and start your visit in minutes.