Intermountain Healthcare is a licensed provider of Bridging the Gap: Training for Medical Interpreters,
a course by the Cross Cultural Health Care Program in Seattle, WA.. This 60 hour training meets educational requirements to apply for the Utah Medical Language Interpretation License, as well as the National Medical and Healthcare Interpreter certifications (both through the NBCMI and the CCHI).
- Participants must be 18 years or older and have a High School degree or equivalent.
- Proof of Language Proficiency. Proof of bilingual proficiency could be any of the following:
- High School diploma or equivalent, or university/college degree from a school using the assessed language(s)
- 5 or more years of verified professional experience working in the language(s) being assessed
- State or Federal court interpreter certification
- Oral language exam results with scores equivalent to ACTFL Advanced Mid-level or ILR Level 2.5
Applicants need to provide proof of language proficiency as part of the registration process. Copy of an official score certificate needs to be submitted after registration. Some accepted forms of proficiency proof are:
- LanguageLine Academy - Interpreter Readiness Assessment (IRA) - performed over the phone. The test is approximately 20-30 minutes long, and has a cost of $135. A score of “Competent” or higher is required for admission. Instructions on how to register for the test.
- ACTFL - Proctored by Languatetesting.com - Performed over the phone and with the aid of a computer. The test is approximately 20-30 minutes long, and has a cost of $105 ($70 for the test and $35 for online proctoring). A score of “Mid-level” or higher is required for admission.
- Other accredited test with a score equivalent to a level 2.5 or higher in the ILR Scale. Before choosing an alternate fluency test, please verify with firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm it will be accepted.
Registration is due 15 business days prior to the first day of class to ensure books and other materials are made available in a timely manner. You have 3 days after the registration payment is submitted to cancel and qualify for a full refund. Cancellations made ten (10) days or less prior to the class start date will incur a $50 charge. No refunds will be awarded after the first day or class.