Intermountain Healthcare is a licensed provider of Bridging the Gap: Training for Medical Interpreters,
a course by the Cross Cultural Health Care Program in Seattle, WA. This 64 hour training prepares individuals to interpret in the health care setting, and meets educational prerequisites for the National Medical and Healthcare Interpreter certifications (both through the NBCMI and the CCHI).
- Participants must be 18 years or older and have a High School diploma or equivalent.
- Demonstrate bilingual language proficiency. Proof of bilingual proficiency could be any one of the following:
- High School diploma or equivalent, or university/college degree from a school using the assessed language(s)
- 5 or more years of verified professional experience working in the language(s) being assessed
- State or Federal court interpreter certification
- Oral language exam results with scores equivalent to ACTFL Advanced Mid-level or ILR Level 2.5*
- For Intermountain Healthcare employees: completion of the Qualified Bilingual Employee training.
- For agency interpreters: a language assessment form provided by your agency.
Registration is due 15 business days prior to the first day of class to ensure books and other materials are made available in a timely manner. You have 3 days after the registration payment is submitted to cancel and qualify for a full refund. Cancellations made twelve (12) days before the class start date will incur a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds will be awarded after the first day or class.
* For applicants who need to provide proof of language proficiency, we can coordinate a bilingual language proficiency test, at an additional fee of $100. Register here. The testing fee is non-refundable. You can also provide an official score certificate from one of the following exams:
- LanguageLine Academy - Interpreter Readiness Assessment (IRA) - performed over the phone. The test is approximately 20-30 minutes long, and has a cost of $135. A score of “Competent” or higher is required for admission. Instructions on how to register for the test.
- ACTFL - Proctored by Languatetesting.com - Performed over the phone and with the aid of a computer. The test is approximately 20-30 minutes long, and has a cost of $105 ($70 for the test and $35 for online proctoring). A score of “Mid-level” or higher is required for admission.
- Other accredited test with a score equivalent to a level 2.5 or higher in the ILR Scale. Before choosing an alternate fluency test, please verify with firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm it will be accepted.