If you’re taking care of someone with a possible COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) infection, follow appropriate isolation precautions. The overall general best practices to avoid contracting viruses are:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If soap and water aren’t available, use a 60 percent alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow, not your hand.
- Wear a mask in public if you have a fever, are coughing or sneezing, have a runny nose, or are having difficulty breathing.
- Avoid hoarding masks, as this can potentially put the community at risk if supplies run low.
- Stay home when you’re sick and keep sick children home from school.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.You’re encouraged to create your own personal emergency plan. Resources and information are available at bereadyutah.gov.