Your child is scheduled to have surgery at Riverton Hospital in the Outpatient Center, Building 2. We understand any kind of surgical procedure can be an emotionally draining experience for our patients and their family. We want to make your experience go as smoothly as possible. Here is some useful information to help you prepare for your child’s surgery:
- Medical play with a child life specialist to show children the equipment, smells, sights, and sounds of surgery.
- Time for older children and teens to talk about their concerns.
- Time for parents to ask staff child life specialists and nurses questions.
- A tour of the surgery area.
Who can come?
- Patient (age 2 years or older)
- Brothers or Sisters (age 2 years or older)
- Parents and/or Guardians
When can I come?
The pre-surgery class is held on the first and third Monday of every month, 4 to 4:45 p.m. (age 2-10) or 5 to 5:45 p.m. (11 and older).
How do I sign up for the pre-surgery class?
Call the pre-surgery class registration line at, 801-285-2870. Be prepared to give the following information:
- Your child’s name and age
- The date you want to attend the pre-surgery class.
- How many adults and children are coming
- Type of surgery your child is having
- Date of the surgery
Directions to the pre-surgery class:
Go to the Riverton Hospital Outpatient Center, Building 2. Take the elevators to the second floor. The class is held in the Surgery Waiting Area. If you have additional questions please contact a child life specialist at Riverton Hospital at 801-285-2870.