The Pre-Diabetes Class taught by the Diabetes Management Clinic at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and American Fork Hospital is offered throughout the year to help provide the most current information available on preventing diabetes. Each class is taught by a certified diabetes educator or a certified health education specialist. Information taught includes:
- Normal physiology of glucose metabolism
- Pathophysiology of pre-diabetes (insulin resistance)
- Guidelines for diagnosing pre-diabetes
- Statistics on pre-diabetes
- Benefits of exercise & exercise recommendations
- Basic meal planning
Cost for the two-hour class is $25, for supplies and staff time. Insurance companies do not provide coverage for pre-diabetes education so each participant is responsible for the $25 fee. Classes are provided as a community service through Intermountain Healthcare.
Participants are encouraged to bring a friend or family member free of charge. Participants may repeat the class as often as desired without additional cost for up to one year.