The neuropsychologists at Intermountain Medical Center provide compassionate neuropsychological evaluations for those who struggle with medical conditions that affect memory, thinking, emotions, and daily life.
Conditions We Diagnose and Treat
Through effective testing and counseling, we can improve your quality of life. Some of the brain-related conditions we treat include the following:
- Traumatic brain injury and concussion
- Dementia: Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, Parkinson’s disease, and other dementias
- Multiple sclerosis
- Brain tumors
- Memory problems
Other health problems and medically-necessary treatments can cause similar concerns. With our expertise, we can help you develop coping skills for these types of medical conditions as well:
- Heart conditions
- Kidney conditions
- Insomnia and sleep apnea
- Mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety
- Chronic pain and fatigue
- Chemotherapy and radiotherapy for cancer
What to Expect
During your neuropsychological evaluation, a neuropsychologist will review your health history and ask how your medical condition affects your thinking skills, emotions, and relationships. They will ask you to perform specific tasks to test your brain function and thinking skills. The tests will evaluate your vision and hearing, ability to focus on material, learn and remember information, solve problems effectively, and respond quickly and accurately.
After you complete your first evaluation with us, we will schedule a follow-up appointment to review the findings and discuss any recommendations. It is often helpful if you bring your significant other, close friend, or family member.
More About Neuropsychological Evaluations
We use evaluations for several reasons:
- They help us understand what is happening in your life.
- They help you understand why you are struggling.
- They identify which treatments will help with your recovery.
Other uses for evaluations include:
- Clarify a diagnosis
- Identify the cause of any thinking difficulties
- Determine if certain tasks can be performed
- Identify the need for any accommodations for employment or for school
- Determine if supervision is needed
- Refer you to other appropriate providers
Our neuropsychologists will work with you and other specialists to develop a personalized treatment plan to help you achieve your goals. Specialists on the team include rehabilitation professionals, such as speech therapists, occupational therapists, and physical therapists and physicians.