To Arrange a Direct Admission
- Call the Primary Children's Hospital Physician Access Line at (844) 662-1662 24 hours a day.
- Referring providers will have a discussion with the Admissions Officer and Nursing Supervisor to facilitate direct admission.
- Direct transfers of newborns from other hospitals to the Primary Children's NICU are facilitated by calling the NICU directly at (801) 662-4100.
Direct admission criteria
- Same day direct transfers from an outside clinic, hospital, or emergency department to a Primary Children’s inpatient bed (including PICU, CICU, and RTU).
- Emergency Department evaluation is not required.
Direct admission exclusions
These patients are not considered candidates for the direct admission process:
Scheduled admissions, such as scheduled surgical procedures, sedated procedures, and chemotherapy admissions
- Patients requiring behavioral health intervention, whether medically cleared or not. These patients should be directed to the Primary Children's Emergency Department.
If you have questions about a specific patient and situation, please call the Primary Children's Hospital Physician Access Line at (844) 662-1662.